- Quick Summary of Goldco Precious Metals Review
- About Goldco
- Investing in Precious Metals with Goldco
- Precious Metals Investment Options
- How to Setup a Goldco Precious Metals IRA
- Goldco’s IRS-approved Gold and Silver Precious Metal Assets
- IRA Rollovers
- Storage Options
- Other Investment Options
- Goldco IRA Fees
- Real Goldco Reviews and Average Trust Rating
- Pros and Cons of Goldco
- The Bottom Line: Is Goldco a Reputable Company?
The global Covid-19 pandemic has stirred up renewed interest in alternative financial investments such as precious metals. But even as a huge wave of new customers floods the precious metals market, smart investors are on the lookout for the most reputable companies to invest with.
To be blunt, searching for a suitable precious metals company can be exhausting. Besides the overwhelming choice of firms, identifying a company that hits true on all or most target thresholds of your investment takes time and tons of research.
Here’s the good news: We’ve simplified your search by reviewing most of the popular precious metal retailers. In this review, we dissect one of the household names in the precious metals industry and market – Goldco Precious Metals.
We’ll start by reviewing the company’s history before looking into its products, features, costs, services, and investment options. Eventually, we’ll present our professional and unbiased verdict on whether the company is legit or a scam.
Let’s plunge right in:
Quick Summary of Goldco Precious Metals Review
Goldco Precious Metals, alias Goldco Direct Inc., is a brokerage firm that specializes in retailing precious metal assets. Established in 2006 by the sitting Managing Director and CEO Trevor Gerszt, Goldco aims to educate investors on alternative savings ventures and facilitate investments in precious metals.
The firm has physical headquarters in Woodland Hills, California, but serves a fast-growing clientele across the U.S. One of its highlights is the rich investor-focused information resources and guides. This resonates with the company founder’s vision and passion to educate and help investors make sound investment calls for a better financial future.
You must be wondering what services Goldco offers. In a nutshell, they’re a full-service precious metals retailer. That means they cater to most precious metal sales such as direct purchases and IRA investments.
Moreover, Goldco specializes in setting up new gold and silver IRAs. Along with this, they process the transfer of eligible retirement savings and investment accounts into a precious metals self-directed IRA (SDIRA). We’ll cover more on this later on.
Investing in Precious Metals with Goldco
We can all agree that conventional investment channels such as real estate, financial bonds, and stocks markets are highly volatile. Their performance is unreliable and dependent on multiple uncontrollable variables such as politics and global pandemics.
On the other hand, precious metals offer a stable and lucrative investment option for investors keen to protect their wealth against common financial market downturns. They’re also a choice investment options for entrepreneurs that fancy tangible investment proof in place of company shares or bonds.
Better yet, precious metals such as gold, silver, platinum, and palladium are popular and rare, thus highly sought-after. They also maintain a high financial index due to their numerous domestic, commercial, industrial, and military applications. Consequently, the high market demand attracts equally high market prices and a constant ready market for the assets.
But that’s not all. Generally, the financial value of precious metals escalates when other financial assets like bonds and stocks depreciate and their markets crash. Thus, investing in precious metals is a logical investment move to diversify a retirement portfolio and safeguard investment wealth against various market uncertainties.
It gets better: Precious metal assets are easy to liquidate due to their high market demand. In turn, it’s easy to cash in part of or an entire precious metals cache for quick cash. This is especially helpful in emergency situations when you need cash urgently and can’t get it from conventional investments such as debt and real estate.
I can almost hear you wondering what precious metal products and services Goldco offers. Let’s take a look:
Precious Metals Investment Options
Goldco specializes in offering first-rate Gold and Silver Self-Directed Individual Retirement Accounts. Along with this, they have a mix of other precious metal products and services for investors seeking extra or alternative financial investments.
Gold and Silver IRAs
A precious metals IRA enables you to hold investment wealth in the form of real physical precious metal assets in safe storage. This presents numerous benefits that include:
- Your investment is in the form of tangible assets instead of virtual fractions and percentages on company mergers
- It enables you to hedge against common financial market downturns such as stock market crashes
- Enhanced investment security: Investors enjoy the peace of mind of knowing their precious assets and sensitive financial data are stored in secure IRS-approved depositories and custodian vaults respectively.
- It gives you a constant investment advantage by ensuring at least part of your diversified wealth has a positive ROI at any given time.
Even better, a Goldco precious metals IRA allows you to enjoy the same tax benefits of conventional retirement accounts. For instance, you can direct part of your annual contributions to the IRA, defer taxes, and pass down the IRA to a beneficiary without paying inheritance tax in the event of death.
But possibly the best part about Goldco precious metal IRAs is that they’re self-directed IRAs. This means the investor is the chief investment captain- you make all primary investment decisions while the company provides crucial investment consultancy and brokerage services.
How to Setup a Goldco Precious Metals IRA
The company makes their on-boarding process straightforward and you’ll find it quite easy to set up a Goldco Gold or Silver IRA. Here are the simple steps to start you off your IRA investment journey at Goldco:
- Visit the official Goldco Website and get Sean Hannity's Free Wealth Protection Kit (see button below)
- Fill out the online contact form to open a new Gold or Silver IRA
- Supply all requisite information to open your new precious metals IRA. This includes personal details such as the SSN along with financial details
- Select a preferred precious metals IRA custodian and IRA depository from the company’s recommended list
- Choose a method to fund your new Goldco IRA. The company allows you to credit the account either directly via bank wire transfer or roll over the funds from another eligible retirement or investment account. We’ll touch more on this below
- Pick your preferred mix of precious metal assets to hold in your IRA
- Receive the precious metals in your selected storage depository
- Monitor your investment and make the necessary investment tweaks to hit your target investment goals.
Goldco’s IRS-approved Gold and Silver Precious Metal Assets
After successfully funding your account, Goldco requires you to select the precious metal assets to hold in your IRA. They’ll email you a comprehensive list of all precious metals in their catalog along with a detailed investment guide.
Better yet, a seasoned Goldco precious metals investment specialist will be at hand to walk you through the entire process. They’ll help you to identify the best combination of gold and silver bullion bars and coins to invest in the IRA in line with your specific financial situation, preferences, and goals.
The company offers a comprehensive catalog of IRS-approved gold and silver bullion bars that are popular for their impeccable purity levels and convenient availability in a variety of sizes. Additionally, they offer a rich mix of IRS-approved gold and silver coins.
The price of Goldco's silver and gold bullion bars is entirely determined by the bar’s weight along with the current market value of the respective precious metal. Conversely, the value of gold and silver coins depends on a specific coin’s market demand and the current market price of the constituent precious metal. Essentially, rare coins have a higher demand and consequent higher price and market value.
Furthermore, IRS regulations require all gold assets held in an IRA to have at least 99.5% purity level for both bullion bars and coins. Similarly, silver bullion and coins must be at least 99.9% pure for IRA investment. Regardless, Goldco still boasts a decent selection of IRS-approved gold and silver bars and coins that you can add to your IRA such as:
- Gold American Bald Eagle Coin
- Gold Buffalo Coin
- Gold American Eagle Coin
- Gold American Eagle Proof
- Gold Australian Saltwater Crocodile Coin
- Gold Lucky Dragon Coin
- Gold Maple Leaf Coin
- Royal Mint Gold Lunar Series: 2016-Year of the Monkey Coin
- Royal Mint Gold Lunar Series: 2017-Year of the Rooster Coin
- Royal Mint Gold Lunar Series: 2018-Year of the Dog Coin
- Royal Mint Gold Lunar Series: 2019-Year of the Pig Coin
- Perth Mini and PAMP Suisse Gold bars in 1 oz, 5 oz, 10 oz, and 100 oz among other sizes
- Silver American Bald Eagle Coin
- Silver American Eagle Coin
- Silver American Eagle Proof Coin
- Silver Australian Saltwater Crocodile Coin
- Silver World War I Coin
- Silver WWII Victory Coin
- Silver Lucky Dragon Coin
- Silver Maple Leaf Coin
- Royal Mint Silver Britannia Lunar Series: 2015-Year of the Ram Coin
- Royal Mint Silver Britannia Lunar Series: 2016-Year of the Monkey Coin
- Royal Mint Silver Britannia Lunar Series: 2017-Year of the Rooster Coin
- Royal Mint Silver Britannia Lunar Series: 2018-Year of the Dog Coin
- Royal Mint Silver Britannia Lunar Series: 2019-Year of the Pig Coin
- Perth Mini and PAMP Suisse Silver bars in 1 oz, 5 oz, 10 oz, and 100 oz, along with other sizes
Do you hold another retirement or investment account and would like to transfer the funds therein to your Goldco Precious Metals IRA? The company specializes in processing IRA rollovers from a variety of eligible IRAs such as Simple IRA, Roth IRA, 401(k) accounts, precious metal IRAs from other firms, and qualified traditional IRAs.
However, Goldco only allows the rollover of some specific accounts, and investors should contact the company’s customer support desk to determine eligibility. Alternatively, you can visit the company website to review the IRA rollover eligibility criteria and requirements.
Since Goldco is only a precious metals retailer, they partner with reputable IRS-accredited IRA custodians and storage depositories to process IRA rollovers. Once the process goes through, you can use the transferred funding to purchase various precious metal assets on offer and hold them in your Goldco Gold or Silver IRA.
Now this is important: Along with Gold and Silver IRAs and IRA rollovers for eligible accounts, Goldco Direct also offers other IRA services that include investment guides and resources for:
- Simple IRA Planning
- SEP IRA Planning including eligibility requirements, rollover policies, and contribution caps
- Traditional and Roth IRA Planning and how to roll them over into a precious metal IRA
Goldco stores all precious metals IRA assets in state-of-the-art storage facilities in line with IRS regulations. They prefer the Delaware Depository but investors are free to select another preferred IRS-approved IRA depository.
Once you purchase precious metals for your IRA, an expert Goldco sales representative handles all requisite paperwork with the IRA custodian. Then, they’ll ship your select precious metals to your chosen IRA depository for safe storage.
Eventually, you’ll be able to freely withdraw part or the entire reserve of your precious metals investment after retirement. Alternatively, you can make periodic disbursements before retirement age, but there’s a fee for each transaction as per IRS regulations.
Either way, Goldco allows you to sell off your precious metal IRA holdings and take disbursements as cash. Then again, you can opt to take out the wealth as physical gold or silver coins or bars that the company ships to a predetermined address or storage facility.
Other Investment Options
Are you planning on diversifying your investment wealth via personal investments in precious metals alongside or outside a precious metals IRA? Goldco can simplify the process by selling a variety of precious metal assets directly to you. This way, you can start reaping the investment advantages of precious metals even before you hit retirement age.
Goldco offers a selection of silver and gold bullion bars and coins for direct (non-IRA) sale. After purchase, you can store the assets either at home or in a secure IRS-verified storage depository. Nevertheless, the IRS rules that any precious metal assets you store in a private collection don’t qualify for investment in an IRA.
Here’s the most interesting part: Goldco offers a host of free features to help potential, budding, and seasoned precious metal investors make rational investment decisions. What’s more, these investor-focused offers are not only strategically positioned on the website for convenient access but also update regularly. They include:
- A ‘Resources' segment at the top of the company website complete with financial eBooks, investment videos, current precious metal prices and market trends, along with other resources to prepare investors for better precious metal investing and retirement
- A comprehensive FAQ section that covers the majority of common queries investors have about precious metals and Goldco Precious Metals
- A free all-inclusive Self-Directed IRA Guide for prospective investors that sweeps across the basics, benefits, and processes of precious metal investments and IRAs
- A passionate and experienced customer support team dedicated to offer first-rate investment assistance tailored to the specific needs of each precious metals customer.
In case these resources don’t adequately cover your query, simply hit the ‘Contact Us’ tab on the Goldco website and then fill out the ensuing contact form. Thereafter, a Goldco executive will reach out with satisfactory answers on any investment query you have about Goldco Direct.
Goldco IRA Fees
Sadly, Goldco doesn’t include a comprehensive list of precious metal IRA fees on their website. Nevertheless, we’ve obtained the average costs of setting up and maintaining a Goldco Gold or Silver SDIRA from a reliable Goldco customer support executive. Here’s the brief rundown:
- Minimum recommended IRA investment cap of $25,000 for either gold or silver IRA
- Annual $175 IRA maintenance fee that increases to $225 for IRA investments above $100,000
- Variable IRA custodian and storage costs depending on the IRA custodian and selected IRA depository
- Real-time price charts for gold, silver, palladium, and platinum in the United States on the website.
Real Goldco Reviews and Average Trust Rating
Previous customer reviews and consumer ratings enable prospective customers to correctly gauge the suitability and reliability of various precious metal retailers. You’ll be delighted to learn that Goldco performs splendidly on both counts. Here’s an overview of the firm’s reviews and ratings:
- An excellent A+ rating and accreditation from the Better Business Bureau(BBB)
- Exceptional AAA rating and accreditation by the Business Consumer Alliance (BCA)
- Average 5-star rating on TrustLink
- 4.8/5 mean star rating on Trustpilot
- Average 4.8/5 star rating from Consumeraffairs.com
Pros and Cons of Goldco
Like any financial investments firm, Goldco enjoys a mix of pros and cons as illustrated below:
- Rich choice of precious metal products that include gold and silver bars and coins
- A solid 15+ years of experience in precious metals IRAs and trade
- Glowing tributes on trusted customer review sites
- Excellent consumer ratings and accreditation from top consumer rating sites
- Supreme customer support from expert and experienced investment specialists
- Exceptionally easy to set up a precious metals IRA
- A wealthy variety of free investor-focused educational resources.
- High minimum recommended IRA investment cap of $25,000 that’s off-setting to most small-to-medium-scale investors
- Doesn’t list the precious metal assets available for direct (non-IRA) sale on the official website
- They’re only a broker and don’t offer in-house precious metal IRA custodian and storage services. Instead, they partner with IRS-accredited IRA custodians and storage depositories
- All IRA fees aren’t transparent.
The Bottom Line: Is Goldco a Reputable Company?
From this honest review, we can authoritatively conclude that Goldco Direct is a genuine and 100% reputable precious metals retail company. They specialize in brokering diverse precious metal products such as IRS-accredited gold and silver bars and coins for IRA and personal (non-IRA) investments. Moreover, they have actual physical offices in Woodland Hills, California, and have been in business for over a decade.
If you’re considering diversifying an investment package or retirement portfolio via precious metals, why wait? Reach out to Goldco today for a free SDIRA Guide and an investment offer tailored to your specific preferences.
The firm not only has numerous precious metal products but also offers some of the most competitive prices and terms. Even better, they offer expert customer support to simplify all requisite logistics such as paperwork from the contact phase through to shipping your precious metals to the depository.
Here’s another interesting bit: Goldco hasn’t been entangled in a lawsuit in the past 15+ years they’ve been in business. Most of their online reviews are positive statements from satisfied customers. Further, they strive to address the few complaints professionally, and this further cements the company as a legitimate and reliable precious metals retailing enterprise.
Even then, precious metal investments carry a level of financial risk like all other savings. Besides, an investment that’s set to sustain you through retirement must be made carefully.
The bottom line is that Goldco offers investment-grade precious metal assets, and epic customer assistance. They boast excellent consumer ratings and overall positive testimonials from past customers. Additionally, they offer a variety of free investor-focused resources, making Goldco a giant among precious metal brokers.